In this modern age with the introduction of more & more new technology – we are insusceptibility also get exposed to increased environmental contaminants. This month – we will share some simple tips on how you can protect your child from the 2 main sources from our environment.
The AIR we Breathe
Environmental pollution such as tobacco smoke, biological from wet/moist walls, carbon monoxide, organic gases from air fresheners & pesticides are just some of the contaminants that we faced every single days.
What you can do to reduce the exposure to your child.
- Do not smoke/permit others to smoke at your home
- Install fans/vents to ensure a dry environment to prevent biological growth due to humidity
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted & do not idle car at your car park
- Use household cleansers / fresheners according to manufacturer's instructions. Make sure there's plenty of air flow around when using these items.
- Pesticides should be used strictly to manufacturer's instructions & keep the kids outdoors during use. Increase ventilation when used indoors.
The WATER we Drink
Lead, mercury, pesticides, asbestos, arsenic & ammonia are just some of the contaminants found in our water. Lead & mercury are toxic to the human brain & nervous system. While the pesticides, arsenic & ammonia are obviously toxic to the human body. Lead in household water usually comes from the plumbing in the house while pesticides, arsenic & ammonia are usually present in our water from our water source even after treatment.
What you can do to reduce the exposure
- Reduce lead exposure (if you do not have a distiller or drinking our bottled water) –Anytime the water in a particular faucet has not been used for six hours or longer, "flush" your cold-water pipes by running the water until it becomes as cold as it will get.
- Only Use Cold Water for Consumption Use only water from the cold-water tap for drinking, cooking, and especially for making baby formula. Hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead.
- Have Your Water Tested by your local accredited chemical labs
- Switch to drinking Pure Water (enquire NOW with our office!)